Ruidoso 4/14






Ruidoso Sunday/Monday 4/14: Spent the days exploring the mountain community and surrounding areas. Sunday was spent traveling up to the Monjeau fire tower. The sign at the start of the dirt road said the road was closed. But I figured I would go as far as I could until I encountered a gate or roads too bad to transverse around. Road varied from good gravel to lumpy glad I have the truck. After some 6-7 miles on an upward course I passed by an unlocked gate, so I kept going. Once at the top I was glad to see a ranger truck. She was actually up in the top part of the tower. Glassed in with what looked like good communication equipment. Just me and the ranger, for about ½ hour, then another car with a couple and little kid from California of all places (Orange County) also going to Santa Fe. Then more cars and trucks and many more people came. Seems as if this was the first day that the road was officially open after the winter shutdown even thought locals say they had little snow this past winter. The last ones up said one of the rangers was taking the road closed sign down.
Monday was spent (for the most part) at Bonita Lake. You know the scene well, that fresh water smell with the pine trees, the sound of a soft cool breeze thru the pines, warm sun on your face. I was mainly intent on the photo aspects of the lake so not catching any fish was OK today even though I tried. Only a few along the shore were catching any today anyway. The closest guy next to me told me of the past weekend fishing contest where the winner won $500 for the largest trout. By the way the llama in the picture I saw on the way up to the lake was actually in the same corral as horses. Although they were not near each other.
Three nights in the pines has been great, away from the wind (will start up again tomorrow I am told) and wonderfully cold at night. Got the heater running in the camper for the first time this trip. Found a great beer, Alien Amber Ale and I'm not even to Roswell yet......till then.

No comments: