Tuesday 4/1-Thursday 4/3






Tuesday 4_1: Tombstone. What can I say, I had to see it. Cool place even though it is so commercialized. Everything was $$ so I decided to tour and see the thing I thought was most cool. Gunfight at the OK corral ya think? No I saw Spock, Bones, Kirk, and Chekov fight it out there in Star Trek “the bullets are falsehoods”. I’m sure these guys will get up after the fight too. But junky old mines, not that is cool. One video shows the appeal. Stopped in town for lunch and listened to live music. Gerry should be up there singing Poncho and Lefty.
Moved on though to Chiricahua to camp. No water or electric but the camper is so self contained. In fact this seems like after a week and a half out now that this is the first real camp. No TV room with Sunday ice cream social in the card room like the Prince Of Tucson RV Park. The night shot picture is the first night of shooting. Notice the stars of Orion’s belt and sword. Wonder what the film version of this will look like. I paint these with the 3 million candle power spot light I have. It recharges from the car battery, along with the phone and the computer. The inside of the truck looks like an electronic junk pile with the film camera equipment there too. There is no room for anything or anyone else, but I’ll come up with something around May 2nd. The night shooting here is weird because when I’m away from camp and the lights of the truck (or flashlight) go off it is so dark that you can’t see you hand in front of your face. 7:00 pm comes by at camp and everyone is in their tents or campers or tents or cars (some travel and sleep in the cars), I feel like I’m sneaking out on some secret mission for these night shots. The total quiet due to the lack of wind at night lately is an eerie combination with the dark. Makes positioning the shot a trial and error thing and moving around even more difficult. Every time I turn the little flashlight on I expect to see a Zombie next to me or a mountain lion. Fortunately I’ve been trained in the ways of the Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook. Thanks Kathy, because now I can take a punch by a Zombie or flash a mountain lion to look bigger. The book says nothing about fending off talkative retired folks though. The two biggest groups I run into are families on vacation and retired folks. Some alone guys like myself. Lez I (met camping) for example is Canadian and has a list like mine. He is heading west but said I gotta go see the Tent Rocks in New Mexico, and fortunately they are on my list too. Deer were all over the park at morning and dusk.
I could have stayed another day longer in Chiricahua but I like to STOP ALONG THE WAY (hear that Jim?) to Leesburg State Camp so left Thursday morning. Looking forward to New Mexico. In a hotel for the first time since I left for the easy life. Now the hotel room looks like my truck.





No comments: